Elder Grove is a traditional Victorian house built in 1898, over three floors with the cellars being converted to provide reception, dining room and bar, thus giving a bed and breakfast establishment over four floors.
- Information available via internet, phone or a printed brochure by post (standard print size)
- Elder Grove has its own car park – entrance to house at lower level and is within level walking distance to Ambleside town centre and the Lake
- Public transport is available from the next street (less than 5 minutes walk)
- Taxis can be pre ordered for guests
- The nearest Shop-mobility scheme is in Kendal (15 miles away)
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Elder Grove has a tarmac car park with 9 spaces for the 10 rooms. When every room has a car the last car in is double parked
- The access from the road is over a dropped kerb, the drive way slopes down to the car park
- The parking space nearest the entrance can be reserved by request when booking. We also have a space at the rear of the house which can be reserved for motorbikes (secure bar for locking bikes)
- The house is signed as Elder Grove and the phone number is on the sign
- There are no steps or barriers from the car park to the lower level entrance
- The car park has low level lighting in the evenings
Public Areas – General (Internal)
- As previously described the house is over four floors, with access to all floors from a staircase with banister on one side. The staircase has 2 landings and 2 half landings. There are no lifts or stair lifts in the building. The ground floor (street level) gives access to the lounge and a stair case access to the lower ground floor where the bar and dining room are situated and hallway and porch to the car park.
- All areas are well lit with low energy light bulbs. Some natural light falls onto the top floor and through the front door.
- All areas are carpeted.
- Comfortable seating is in the bar area and lounge with chairs in the dining room.
- Doorways into rooms are a mixture of wood and glass panelled. Most are open throughout the day. Significant doors are fitted with automatic door closures in the event of fire.
- Furniture is arranged in the public rooms to allow free access around the room.
Public Areas – WC
- None. All bedrooms are en-suite.
Dining Room, Bar & Lounges
- Dining room – Chairs and tables are moved to suit the room and combinations of guests staying. Dining room chairs DO NOT have arms. Guests can help themselves to the breakfast buffet table, but assistance is available on request.
- A large print menu is available.
- Special diets and allergies are catered for with prior arrangement. Vegetarian breakfast is always available.
- All bedrooms are on the 1st and 2nd floors (from street level). Access to the rooms is from the staircase. There are no steps into any bedroom.
- The fire alarm system is a bell. Guests are requested to put the emergency sign provided on to the bedroom door handle if they require assistance in the event of an evacuation.
- All rooms have standard double or single divan beds, with clear access from the bed to the bedroom door
- Bedroom TVs have Teletext and remote control. The Superior rooms also have DVD players
- Hot drink trays in each room have a kettle with a maximum mark for filling. Some kettles are cordless
- All the bedding is manmade fibre.
- Dogs are not permitted in the bedrooms.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC
- All bedrooms have an en-suite bathroom. They all offer comfortable freedom of movement but bathroom sizes vary slightly between rooms.
- All en-suite rooms have a bath (with grab rail), a shower fitting over the bath, a toilet, hand basin, shelving and a towel rail. The hand basin hot taps are fitted with a blender with the water set at 40°C. The showers have thermostatic mixer taps, and the bath hot water tap is set at 60°C.
- All bathrooms have a door with a handle and lock.
- Bathrooms are carpeted and tiled around the toilet. Each bathroom is decorated individually and co-ordinate with the bedroom.
- There is a small Laundrette in Ambleside
- We have 2 passes to a local hotel leisure facility, and these are offered on a first come first served basis. The access details to the leisure club will be listed on the hotels own website, for 2019 we are using the Salutation Hotel in Ambleside.
- Due to the age and layout of the house there are no plans to change access to the property or to the rooms.